Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The best rolls ever

This recipe makes the best rolls EVER! I thought I would share it with all of you.

LION HOUSE DINNER ROLLS

2 cups warm water (115-120 deg.)
2/3 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 tsp yeast (2 pkgs.)
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening (or butter)
2 eggs
5 to 5 1/2 cups flour (I use whole wheat for 1 or 2 of the cups of flour)
Mix all ingredients together adding flour gradually until moist but not sticky (You have to knead the dough for about 10 minutes to activate gluten). Put it in a greased bowl and flip it so the top has oil on it. Rise for 45 min. in a warm place.
Then, divide the dough in half, rolling out 1/2 the dough at a time into a rope.
Cut it in half, then half again, again until you have 16 pieces. (So the recipe makes 32 rolls in all.)
Shape them into balls. I usually make my index finger and my thumb come together into a circle shape and stuff the dough upward through the circle until it's nice and round. Does that make sense? Then put them on two cookie sheets (4 rows of 4 each on each cookie sheet) and let them rise for another 45 min til they are doubled. Bake at 375 deg. for 15-20 minutes.
Brush them with butter immediately when they are done. Enjoy!

1 comment:

cbull said...

Those look yummy! I'll have to make some one of these days :).