Monday, November 23, 2009

First trimester report cards...

The kids did excellent in their first trimester of school. Here's what the teachers said about them on their report cards:
Jr.-
Can you guys believe that his teacher had nothing to say on the report card? She left it completely blank in the comments section. I am having a hard time with her. She only gives negative feedback, and all my friends who have a kid in her class agree. She actually had Jr. fill out a self evaluation where he wrote: Reading-excellent "I read just right books and I get to be a better reader."
Writing-Satisfactory "I don't really like to write."
Math-Excellent "I know a lot of math."
"I need a few reminders once in a while to stay on task and return my homework on time, everything else I almost always do."
When I went to Parent teacher conference she pulled out that self evaluation and proceeded to criticize what he had written, and expected me to agree with her. She said "He just doesn't get it, he thinks he is doing great!" I am still trying to get over that one. I want to cry when I think of my son being stuck with a teacher who thinks he is good for nothing. It will just damage his self image and make him hate school even more. If you never mention someone's efforts to do well, they will do well less and less because what's the point of trying to please someone who will never appreciate your effort? There's no point. He consistently gets all his spelling words right, he's great at math, and he is a strong reader. She never mentions these things. I think he is a normal 9 year old boy who is bored with school.

Isaac-
Isaac's teacher wrote the following: "Isaac reads with fluency and expression. He can answer questions about the stories that he reads. Isaac is a great speller. He spells most of his words with conventional spelling. He tells his story in logical order. He understands concepts taught in class. He has great number sense. Isaac enjoys humor and likes to be silly. He is fun to be around and has many friends. We will be working on helping Isaac make sure to keep his silliness under control and be silly only at appropriate times."
I am very proud of Isaac. He is a unique individual, and I celebrate that!

Mary- Her teacher wrote this: "Mary is blossoming! Her gentle kindness, enthusiasm for learning, and willingness to listen are such gifts to our classroom. As a learner, Mary has a work ethic that is second to none. She is growing in all academic areas and is beginning to share her spark with others! Mary is continuing to gain fluency in reading and we are working to add several new comprehension strategies to her repertoire. Mary is developing confidence in problem solving strategies and in explaining her mathematical thinking. I am very thankful to be Mary's teacher."
I am glad she is Mary's teacher too. Isaac had her last year, and he loved her as well. She is a good christian woman with kids who go to the same school.

Tommy-
His teacher said "Thomas has transitioned nicely during this first trimester of Kindergarten. He is less shy and has made new friends in our classroom. There is a tribe of boys that have formed a friendship, and he is part of that tribe. He has started to participate in group instruction and works well with his classmates. Thomas knows the letter names and most letter sounds. He is working on using that knowledge as he writes words. He is a sweet boy and I am so glad he is in our class!"
I am glad that Tommy is doing so well in school. I was so worried! I feel better about him entering school early.

1 comment:

Lianna Black said...

What a mean ugly teacher Jr has!! :( that is so sad for him! I think his self analysis was honest and candid and that he is just a normal 9 yr old - certainly not the mean things she thinks he is, what a crochety old bag for saying that stuff!!! GTH - ok nuff said :) what a delightful report on all the kids shugie!! I am so happy for them and especially Tommy! It gives me hope for my boy to go to school in a few years too...may that day come as slowly as possible..lol! :) SLYNBB! thanks for the great post!